This list is LONG!!!! If you’re in doubt, use the link above to research specific plants and find out if they’re toxic to your pet. You can even filter by plants that are toxic to dog, cat, and horse. Or choose to filter by non-toxic plants for each species. It’s super helpful and quite honestly, it’s how I chose which plants to use in my landscaping!
Here are my top 10 toxic plants to cats and/or dogs (courtesy of the VCA website).
- Sago Palm
- I hate this plant with a passion! These leafy green ornamentals are highly toxic to pets! They contain cycasin, a toxin that causes severe liver failure within a few days of ingestion. All parts of the plant are toxic and ingestion is often fatal if not treated immediately. Even if your pet makes it through the initial insult, chronic liver failure in the future is common.
- These flowers are one of the most toxic house plants for cats. Ingesting even a small amount or licking a bit of pollen off their coat can cause kidney failure and death. All parts of the plant are extremely toxic…even the water that the flowers are in can cause kidney failure.
- Also known as Nerium, oleander is more commonly found in outdoor gardens, but some gardeners bring them inside for the winter. These plants contain cardiac glycosides, which can cause drooling, diarrhea, abdominal pain, abnormal heart rhythm and neurologic signs.
- These resilient, easy-to-grow houseplants contain high levels of calcium oxalate crystals. If ingested, this plant can cause burns to the mouth, excessive drooling and vomiting. Other houseplants with high levels of calcium oxalate include the snake plant and pothos (devil’s ivy).
- Chewing on the plant can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. While the inner gel is generally considered non-toxic and is often used on scrapes and burns, do not use it on your pet.
- These bright fall flowers contain several toxic components that can cause illness in pets if ingested, including vomiting and incoordination. Luckily, symptoms are often mild as long as your pet has only eaten a small amount of the plant.
- The toxins in this spring-blooming perennial are concentrated in the roots and bulbs. Chewing on the bulbs can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, profuse drooling and burns to the mouth. Tulips also belong to the same plant family and can cause similar symptoms if the bulbs are ingested.
- Jade Plant
- This succulent plant is also known as the money plant or lucky plant. Chewing on these succulents can lead to vomiting, depression and loss of balance.
- Ingestion of any part of the plant can trigger severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, convulsions and abnormal heart rhythm.
- Asparagus Fern (foxtail fern or emerald fern)
- These plants are often used in hanging pots due to their feathery leaves and hardy nature. But it can cause skin irritation if your pet brushes against it. Eating the berries can also cause vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea.