We are proud to offer acupuncture at Summit Veterinary Hospital! Acupuncture, in its simplest sense, is the treatment of conditions or symptoms by the insertion of very fine needles into specific points on the body in order to produce a response. It has been used for centuries in both people and animals, but has been gaining traction in the veterinary industry over the last few decades. In North America, acupuncture as an organized form of veterinary medicine has been in existence since approximately 1975, when the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society (IVAS) was founded.
Acupuncture can be used alone or in conjunction with traditional Western medicine to treat a variety of ailments. Some of the conditions that may benefit from the use of acupuncture include:
- Acute, chronic pain, or generalized pain
- Traumatic injuries that do not involve bone fractures
- Musculoskeletal diseases, such as arthritis
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Respiratory diseases, such as feline asthma
- Skin conditions, such as lick granulomas or allergies
- Gastrointestinal diseases
- Anxiety and other behavioral issues
- Reproductive issues
- and many more!